Pretty surprising that we got 75% of our games in yesterday with the storms rocking the Valley again… but we did!
- Purcellville 8, Strasburg 6, Cannons up, 1-0: Purcellville got two bombs from Cullen Horowicz- the second in the ninth to give the Cannons the winning margin- and just enough pitching to hold off the Express in game one. Ryne Guida added three hits, Justin Acal scored three runs, and Chayce Bryant also went deep. It was the Cannons’ first playoff win since 2017, and puts the squad on the cusp of the semis. Strasburg also got two bombs from Travis Reifsnider, and three hits from Henry Koehler.
- Waynesboro 7, Harrisonburg 1, Gens up 1-0: The Generals rapped line drives all over the field, recording 13 hits, worked six walks, and benefitted from four Turk errors in the field to run away with game one. Jonathan Blackwell threw six solid innings, and Zach Locke and Peyton Ricko followed with three combined shutout innings. Thad Ector had three hits and three runs, and Caleb Cali drove in three for the victors. While there was life emanating from the Waynesboro dugout, fans could not say the same about the opposing dugout.
- Woodstock 9, Front Royal 5, Bandits up 1-0: Staked to a 4-0 lead, the Bandits held on to defeat the Cardinals in game one. The victors got excellent bookend outings from John Gillis (four shutout innings) and Kelan Hoover (two shutout, a save), along with four times on base, two runs, and four RBIs from Justin Wachs. RJ Stinson added three runs scored. Front Royal’s Jo Jo Jackson continued crushing VBL pitching with a 4-5 day, along with a double, run, and RBI.
- Covington at Charlottesville PPD
- Woodstock (Gordon) at Front Royal (Jarrell), 7 PM
- Covington (Wall) at Charlottesville (Yesavage), 7 PM
- Strasburg (Hartman) at Purcellville (Vogatsky), 7 PM
- Waynesboro (Batcher) at Harrisonburg (Kleinfelter), 7:30 PM- My understanding is that there will be a short ceremony before the game installing Teresa Wease into the VBL Hall of Fame!